In 1910, two years after the bell was installed, the Good Shepherd window was given by the Fuller-Edwards family. After that all the other windows in the sanctuary were filled with stained glass, each given by a Church School class or an organization within the church (Mizpah Class, Philathea Class, and Fidelis Class to name a few). Also around this time the carriage shed needed repair and it was decided to tear it down because  the need for horse and buggy accommodation was declining. Rev. A J. Hutchins was the pastor at this time.

 

In 1937, the church was preparing for the 100th anniversary which would be in 1938. An addition was put onto the back of the church. It included Sunday school rooms, a large kitchen and a ladies’ parlor. At the same time a Wurlitzer Theater Organ was purchased to replace the old organ  but the decorative front pipes and woodwork of the old organ were retained. The new organ had chimes and an amplifier and speakers in the bell tower that allowed the sound of the chimes to be heard throughout the town. This all happened during the ministry of Rev. George D. Hudson.

 Church in 1930sIn 1938 when the church was celebrating its 100th anniversary, a fierce hurricane blew the steeple off the church and it was replaced with a new somewhat taller and pointier steeple.

In 1944, the house at 142 Church Street was purchased for a parsonage. The church had not had a parsonage since the parsonage on South Main St. had been sold in 1864 to buy new pews for the renovated sanctuary. The first minister to live in the new parsonage was Rev. Newell J. Smith. The second minister to live in this parsonage was Rev. Ralph Palmer who lived there during his second pastorate of the church. His wife, Mildred, was also a minister at the Bellingham Baptist Church. Rev. Palmer was a wonderful youth leader in the church. He could often be seen riding his bicycle around town.

 

InRev. Jack Averill 1963, a 125th anniversary celebration of the church took place during the pastorate of Rev. Jack M. Averill. Also during Rev. Averill’s pastorate, the deacons and deaconesses were combined into one group and women were allowed to serve communion. Membership options were increased from membership by baptism and transfer of letter to include membership by profession of faith. One of the first members to join by profession of faith was Roger Everett who became very active in the church as collector, then treasurer, a deacon, and a member of the church choir.                                                                                      

In 1970, the church was badly in need of paint. The cost to have  it painted was great and this needed to be done every 5 or 6 years. The church was contacted by a vinyl siding company that offered to give a great price on siding if the church could be used for advertising their product after the job was done. The church decided to have the siding installed and they sold the parsonage at 142 Church St. to pay for the siding. At this time the church had an interim pastor, Rev. William Forsyth. He was from Scotland and he had a charming Scottish brogue. Although he was an interim pastor, he assumed full time duties and was loved by the church members. He and his wife Isabelle and their four children lived in Attleboro. While he was with us one of his children, a daughter aged 10, died of lupus. This was a very sad time for the church.